Re: Request to pick your brains

Justin Thornley wrote:

Hey all,

Just joined up to the mail list, so hi.

Anyway just starting to run a game and was wondering
if any of you could help me with some background info,
I'm longing for stuff on the foreign legion, mainly
what their current day equipment is.

Thanks in advance
Justin

The French Foreign Legion (Legionne E'tranger, I believe) Is made up of a large number of nationalities. Currently the majority of them are from Eastern European nations followed by the Western European nations and (surprisingly) a decent contingent of North Americans.

Their training regiment is brutal to say  the least. Last I heard, they were more keen on bringing out ferocity than really training their men. Having said that...

The LE are actually relatively skilled and behind The Special Forces Group have the most active combat dossier in the west at the present time.

The LE are using a wide variety of weapons and equipment at this time, but tend to rely on their French overseers to provide the lion's share of military weaponry.

Now on to the meat of the question...

Service Rifle: FA MAS (5.56N, bull pup weapon)

Service Pistol: MAB 15 (according to my literature, but the people I met in 2e Commando all seemed to be carrying Brownings)

GPMG: AAT-F1 (Some in 7.5x54French and some in 7.62x51NATO, I have heard..)

HMG: Browning M2HB (12.7x99DLB)

Sniper's Rifle: FR-F1 (7.62x51NATO)

Anti Armor Ordinance: Euro Missile Milan AT-II

Anti Aircraft Ordinance: Something by Aerospatiale... Sorry, I could not find it on short notice.... Anyone?

Heavy Armor (Tanks): GIAT AMX-30 MBT (few) (Soon to get a few GIAT LeClerc MBTs I am told)

Light Armor (APCs, IFVs, the like): GIAT AMX-10P ICV (In various configurations and roles), ACMAT APC (rumored), Panhard VBL (again, rumored), Berliet VXB-170 APC, ERC F4 Sagaie, AMX 10RC

Artillery: (Access to, in certain situations) 155mm GCT, typical series of towed 105mm & 81mm Mortars

Air Transport/Support (Available from French Air Force): Aerospatiale N262 Fregate, Transall C-160, AS 565 Panther, AS 330 Puma, (and coming to a French backed Battlefield near you soon!) Eurocopter Tiger.

A few notes about the equipment the LE uses. Many people are under the mistaken impression that these lads are merely light infantry, but that is not the case, they have an armored squadron, artillery batteries and even a few platoons of Light armor. I have heard that they also have exclusive use of a couple of the regular services' operational air transport and support squadrons. Suffice it to say, they are not very easy to nail down... much like the French, in my opinion!
Among the Foreign Legion Units out there, perhaps the most well known is the 2e Commando, basically these fellows are the special operations branch of the Legion, they have nothing but veterans (theirs or other countries', it doesn't matter) and they seem to put them to good effect. I was never in on any actual ops with these fellows, but on exercise one could not afford to lounge it around that lot...

Hope I was of assistance.

=|

S.