From: Jeff Pawlowski [mailto:blackeagleblackeagle@yahoo.com]
Sent: 27 June 2001 19:14
To: millenniums-end-l@firedrake.org
Subject: Re: Alarming statistics.

--- "Robert J. Hansen" <rjhansen@inav.net> wrote:

> Number of physicians in the United States: 700,000
> Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year:
> 120,000
> Accidental deaths per physician: 0.171
> (Source: US Department of Health and Human Services)
>
> Number of gun owners in the United States:
> 80,000,000
> Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all ages):
> 1500
> Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000188
> (Source: US Federal Bureau of Investigation)
>
> ... Statistically, a doctor is nine thousand times
> more dangerous than a
> gun owner.  :)

Hmmm... If I had only not read, "How to Lie with
Numbers" I could let this one go...

Statistically, what is the average daily use of a
Doctor's skills when compared to the average daily use
of a handgun (or other "gun") are we discussing here?

Can the cause of more deaths by doctors be because
there is a higher amount of use?  Can the cause of
less deaths by guns be a factor of most guns being
unused?  Just a thought.

I carry my Glock 36 daily.  Never shot it in anger
yet.  I use my gun 0 hours of every day.