Re: ME System vs. Background.

The Millennium's End system is built on as much
realism as one can stand.  It bogs the game down
sometimes, but I prefer it.  If I didn't, I have a
shelf full of Paranoia, BloodShadows, Amazing Engine,
and ShatterZone to work from.

IMHO, if you take out the Millennium's End theme, you
still have a great system, and I think this is the
main point of the thread.  It is elegantly built on a
percentile number base, which is easy for people to
visualize the odds of making something happen or not.
It is far better than D6 and D20 systems where your
chance of flubbing something severely increases with
your skill level.

Because of these things, you can still remove the
overlays and body maps, and still have something
useful (though, IMHO, something less great).

As for adding a tinge of "unreality", I've been
working on various things to tweak.  I've added some
'parapsychology' to my games that is mild.  You can
add various themes onto the system, like The Pretender
TV show.  Tweaking a system slightly to accommodate
various things is normal, but adding a Dwarf to ME and
you should be playing Shadowrun.