Satellite Interuption

I've read with interest the posts on taking over a satellite, for
unscrupulous means.  I can't help but wonder if taking over a satellite in
this day and age is as effective as it used to be, in terms of "getting your
message out".

In this day and age of 200+ channels (The Fishing Channel, The Canoeing
Channel, ad nauseum), and in light of the fact that even a national network
(NBC, CBS, etc) doesn't necessarily broadcast from a single point at a
single time (Eastern, Central, Pacific, and local affiliates overriding
national feed), how many people will actual see the broadcast?  And, of the
people that do see it, will immediately change the channel to something
better (Cops, Two's Company re-runs, etc)?

If the said group wants to get their message out, take over the afore
mentioned French Nuclear Reactor, and give copies of a taped statement to
all of the major networks.  Before long, every network in the world will be
playing the tape.  You get the same or better coverage, and it's probably
easier to take over a reactor than enough satellite bandwidth to make the
effort worthwhile.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Christopher J. Kracik
The ME Notebook