Re: HAHO

 --- Gareth Livergood <garethlivergood@gmx.co.uk>
wrote: > > <snip>

> > >    First, I am going to assume that you mean
> 30000 feet not 30
> kilometers
> >
> > Nope, I am not that familiar with "feet" as a
> lenght measurement ;)
> >
> Sorry, you can put that up to me being a silly
> American :-)  30000 feet is
> about 9.2km.

Altitude is always measured in feet, and pilots always
speak English. =)

Depth is usually measured in feet as well (or fathoms
of course...), although some navies now measure depth
in metres.

Commercial airliners usually fly at around 30-38k
feet, although they can fly higher and usually do when
flying over or near 'warzones'. The SR-71 had an
unclassified service ceiling of around 86,000 I
believe (It's actually higher) and requires full
'space suit' style pressure suits.

1km = around 3300 feet, so a 747 only flys at around
10km.

Mike