Re: World Trade Center

In a message dated 9/12/2001 1:37:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ivs@ivs.cc
writes:

> I guess its time to get serious. I still think putting Air Marshals on
planes
> again would be another excellent measure. (I see your knife and raise you
two
> rounds of .45 JHP)

I _still_ don't see why they stopped putting Air Marshals on planes in the
first place!

Money.  You are talking about thousands of domestic flights per day requiring
an agency somewhere around fifty-thousand officers, maybe double that if you
start looking at multiple personnel per flight, special response teams,
support personnel, C&C, etc.

We also have to look at nationalizing the airport security responsibility.
Under state control at the least.  No more minimum wage glazed eyed robots at
checkpoints.  Again, we are looking at an agency of significant size and cost.

Identification transponders on aircraft should not be able to be turned off
in flight.  Aircraft need to be in regularly scheduled radio contact with
ground control, fifteen-to-twenty minute intervals.  There also has to be a
process for identifying and reacting to aircraft that deviate from scheduled
flight plans.  An improved "panic button" system needs to be put into place.
All of theses steps will require the FAA to be given broader authority to
regulate airlines.

Rob