Re: Article 5

Rob Hansen originally (I think) wrote:
>The US, for all that it takes a beating in the international press, > has a
>few friends out there; the UK, France, Germany, etc.  I've
>got very little doubt that if Bush calls the British PM up and
>says, "y'know, we'd really like to have some of your subs in the area
>shadowing our fleet", that we'll get a British sub shadowing our fleet, or
>German armor units, or French Foreign Legionnaires, or... etc.
>In the country's time of greatest need, we are soon going to
>discover just how great are our friends.

Unfortunately, we are also about to discover the effect of choosing civil
projects over a strong defense.  The EU has cut military spending and
capability, while Asia and the Pacific Rim has increased capability (look to
see who bought and sold small aircraft carriers in the last 10 years).  The
US has just spent 8 years under the Clinton administration, who was more
concerned about using HUD (Housing and Urban Development) to impinge on
personal freedoms.   We're about to find out who still has military units
that can be borrowed to fight a war.

But let's also not forget - this isn't going to be a made-for-TV Gulf War.
Most likely, we are facing an opponent who isn't going to give an
opportunity for face to face fighting.

Obligatory comment: Aren't we going outside the ME list charter with most of
the conversations?

-Eric
Is the American military really ready after 8 years of the Clinton
administration?