Re: Whoa... New HK Machinegun?

In a message dated 9/15/2001 7:30:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, blackeagleblackeagle@yahoo.com writes:

HK MG43

This one has me mystified.  No LE market, very strong established competition (Minimi/M249 and others), strong possibility of competing against MG36 is G36 algined countries, etc.  Photo suggests a very conventional design lacking break throughs so they are going to need a real good price point to have a chance.  A 7.72 version has more merits, but you cannot simply enlarge a SAW to get a GPMG.

Seems to me their efforts would be better spent on their 40mm family, a semiauto interdiction rifle, or 7.62 version of the G36 action (for marksman and sniper platforms if nothing else).  A DM version of the G36 is an obvious shortcoming in the current line up.

Rob