Re: Protection on flights

In a message dated 9/16/01 5:25:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time, becubed@connexus.net.au writes:

As to the comment that they are slow, in what sense do you mean? If it's the recognition speed then I would be surprised if it couldn't be dramatically improved through the use of specifically designed chips and more optimised programming.

      Yes it COULD be speeded up with better chips and maybe a little AI that says, "Hello dave, how are you today?" when it reconizes you.....HOWEVER, we haven't figured out how to do that yet...or else we would have.
      I have not seen or heard of a "fingerprint gun" that boosts of a new 0% faliure rate and a fast read speed.  What if you have three Marshalls on a flight? one guy, forbid, is killed, his buddies can;t use his gun, UNLESS the gun is loaded with their prints too.  Great, well, searching its data for the RIGHT of three prints takes time, minimal, but time.  Now relize, that each gun would ACTUALLY be loaded with ALL the air marshalls prints, that's a BIG number, so everytime you pick it up, it has to procces the data and make sure it;s the right print.
      IN the future, these guns will be great, right now, they are not a viable option for defense.

    I agree that loading every agent's signature into the gun would probably be a reliability, but I don't think it'll be necessary.  Wouldn't the agents know who else is on the plane?  If so they can manage to meet in advance and enter each other's signature in their guns no more...

    Michel