Re: ON TOPIC! The Hindi/Urdu word/phrase for 'the business' - vote request

Hello,

<snip>
> >         Hope this is helpful!
>
> If anything, it's confused the crap outa me!

        Hey, nobody said this would be easy ;-)

> So, let's see if I've got this right: The phrase "The Business"
> would translate to "Eh Vyapari"? Is that correct?

        Just "Vyapari", but yes.
        You know, it just occured to me that "Eh Bapar" may simply be a
poor (no offense to anyone intended) transliteration of "Vyapari".
Taking off the "i" at the end is common (it's the gendered part of the
word, like the "a" in the word "problema" in Spanish), so it could be
pronounced "Vyapar" (the "a" sounds like "ah" rather than "uh" or
something else), which is close to "Eh Bapar".
        Another possibility also occured to me.  "Eh Bapar" also sounds
like "Bapareh", which in Hindi can be an expression of exasperation (kind
of like "for Pete's sake!" or "Come on!" or even "How stupid!" in
English).  Were I inclined to be uncharitable, I might think whoever gave
the tranlsation was in a bad mood
:-)
        Regardless, I am not really concerned about any credit, I'm just
trying to help out.  I look forward to seeing your completed work!

Best Wishes,

Manu