Re: Afghani Ordnance

I've read that J-DAM and Sensopr Fuzed Weapon (SFW) were both used.

Chris
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: Afghani Ordnance

In a message dated 10/10/2001 12:32:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time, CamaroGen1@aol.com writes:

only thing i have heard of, and i haven't been keeping up well either, is a lot of "dumb" bombs, and the tomahawk...

I would seriously doubt they have dropped any "dumb" bombs.  From the altitudes they have been operating at the accuracy of dumb bombs is poor.  JDAM probably represents the majority of ordnance deployed.  The heavy use of B1-Bs supports this, as they can carry 24 JDAMs.  WCMD would also seem to be a candidate for heavy use.  Both systems are in service in large quantities, and reasonable price, making extensive use no problem.

 and today, i heard they are going to deploy "bunker buster" laser guided bombs like
they dropped in the gulf, GB-28s i think it was.

GBU-28 means flying lower and will be a tough hit with the current weather conditions.  Also means using F15E or F111F, which have not as yet been used in theatre.  Anyone not familiar with the GBU-28 should head to FAS and do a little reading.  A remarkable story of seat of your pants engineering.

Rob