Fw: HTML Editor

OK, since everyone else appears to be posting this to the list, I'll forward my note on the subject.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Stenning (G1LIW)" <g1liw@lineone.net>
To: <kracikcj@home.com>
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 3:30 AM
Subject: Re: HTML Editor

> Chris -
>
>> I know it's a bit off topic (a bit he says), but I know
>> several of you folks have extensive web sites.
>
> True...!
>
>> Has anyone ever used CuteHTML or Netscape's
>> Composer for basic web editing? I mainly need
>> to maintain my pages, and add the occasional a
>> new page (which usually starts as a copy of an
>> existing page).
>
> That's normally the way I do it (use a pre-existing page
> as a template, that is). I use Homesite, from Allaire.
> However, a good free one (HTML Editor, NOT
> wysiwyg), is Eversoft's First page 2000, with an
> almost identical front-end UI (User Interface) to it.
> It's available from http://www.evrsoft.com.
>
>> Composer came installed on my new PC, so the
>> price is right.  So as long as it won't screw up my
>> files, free is good, especially since it is WYSIWYG.
>> CuteFTP is only $20, but is text based (which isn't
>> too much of a problem).
>
> I personally wouldn't use editors that come with
> browsers, for one good reason: Browser
> independence (or rather, the lack thereof) on
> completed pages. Nutscrape and Exploder (NN &
> IE) both have problems with their rendering of pages,
> with proprietory tags and whatnot. Better, therefore,
> to go with html 3.2 (last but one standard), which is
> viewable by most browsers.
>
> A damn good book on the subject, with probably
> the best listing of HTML elements, their implementation
> and compatibility, is the Cybex book 'mastering
> HTML4', ISBN 0-7821-2523-9, priced at around
> $34.99. You should be able to lay your hands on a
> copy through Amazon.com, btw. It's good a good
> primer for code neophytes, and other sections
> relating to designing for all browsers, style, and
> so on. Well worth the investment.
>
> Regarding FTM, try CuteFTP by all means, but
> please be very aware that it's not only ad-ware,
> but spyware (so I've heard) as well. Go for
> WS_FTP LE, instead. It's completely free,
> incidentally, as a 'lost leader' to their more
> fully-featured WS_FTP Pro version.
>
>> Any comments would be welcome (off list is probably
>> preferred).
>
> Anyhow, I hope this advice from a web design
> shop owner helps!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Proprietor,
Intelligent Web Design Services
http://iws.n3.net/
(PGP public key available on request)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message
may not be those of IWS. The information in this email and
in any attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, copy or
use this email for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of
its content to any other person - you should also destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify
the sender immediately.