Re: Starting equipment

> Duct tape becomes duck tape by a combination of two
> linguistic processes -
> 'ellision'  (the t on the end of duct slides over to
> combine with the t on
> the begining of tape) and 'familiar-sounding' (not
> sure what the correct
> name for this process is).
>
> In the second process, the speaker is more familiar
> with the word 'duck'
> than the word 'duct', and so substitutes the more
> familair word for the
> unfamiliar one.  ('sparrow-grass' for 'asparagus' is
> the example most oftem
> used.)
>
> (My younger sister used the word 'cossack' to
> describe those small vending
> boxes that stood by the side of the road - kiosks.
> Same process.)
>
> Ann  (frustrated linguist)

No more!

I have been reading about American English word
construction all day. I remember this coming up
specifically in an article I was reading.
I wish I had it here to quote from, oh well I'll have
to go back and read it (again) if I can't remember the
specifics.

--
Lauri Gardner

Gigantic Jungles!