Re: Mines in arctic warfare?

<LURKER DECLOAKS>

I can tell you from experience this morning that cold kills batteries.  I
live in Northern British Columbia and it was running about -38C this
morning, dropping to about -44C with the wind early this morning.  Warmed up
a bit so it could snow while I drove to work...but I digress.

Gasoline engines on modern cars fire up well, particularly fuel injection
models (in my experience), but anything ran by a diesel...well, once
running...keep it running.

The discussions about the cold reminded me of an incident I seen years
ago...

When using a rifle, I have used a graphite powder like material...I'll have
to dig up some info on it as it has been years since I went targeting
shooting at the range in this type of weather.  When firing a rifle .308 I
believe, on one of those cold Christmas card like mornings - where the air
is still and the quite, the bullets left contrail like strings along their
flight path.  Conditions must have been just right, but it was pretty
interesting to see.

Just my observations about the cold.

Brian K
"Don't lick the lightpost!"