[no subject]

A few years ago the Navy did some experiments with rail guns, refitting
a gun turret on one cruiser with a single railgun.  The photos I saw of
the target were really amazing--catastrophic damage would be an
understatement.  There was so much energy transfer between flechettes
and target that metal liquified and ran like water.  That's what you get
when you put five-gram metal flechettes onto target at a rate of ten a
second.  Truly disturbing stuff.

Rail guns work, but due to the power and coolant requirements they're
stuck at the naval level.  I don't see the power and coolant
requirements being eased considerably, even with the discovery of room
temperature superconductors--which is what the original poster was
talking about.