Re: [semi-OT] Good mags (was Re:Terrorist Groups)

---  Ann <annfranchi@hotmail.com> wrote:

> www.thenation.com
>
> Check your local library - most carry at least one
> of the magazines.
>
> The Nation was on the Enron story long before anyone
> else had it.  And still
> has some of the best reporting I've seen on the
> subject.  It's heavily
> political, and assumes that you know a lot about
> what they are already
> talking about  (and the only way to get that way is
> to read the magazine
> weekly for about six months) but it's worth it.
>
> The Progressive and Mother Jones are a lot more
> accessible.

Since I live in the middle of absolute nowhere nation
wise. Most English language books, not to even mention
magazines are exceedingly rare.

> should only be associated with the word "cuts".
>
> Not true.  Defense spending, like any other
> spending, should be in
> proportion to the needs of the nation.  In other
> words, don't spend $5,000
> on a hammer when people are starving in the streets.
>  Or dying from lack of
> affordable, accessible health care.

According to a IISS (Military Balance) report from
1997. The U.S. used over 300 billion dollars on
military spending. While France which is the next
biggest spender in the world is 39.831 billion
dollars. Even China is only $12.608 billion. If you
don't believe me check the CIA World factbook and do
the math.

According to one GAO report I remember hearing about
pointed out that about one in every three dollars has
disappeared (as in no-one knows where they have
gone)and that there are *major* discrepancies in what
is found in stores, what have been paid for with a
receipt, without a receipt, and what is found in the
national database. But what was even worse was the
fact that there is an internal auditing office that is
resposible for defence spending, that is/was being
investigated for cooking the books, when GAO made its
initial inquiry.

What I find funny, is that the U.S. can afford the
most technologically developed Air Force, Navy, and
Army in the world, but can't afford to build barracks
that people can actually live in.

--
Lauri Gardner