Re: New Blackeagle/Blackeagle Offices

Mike Fortey <forteymj@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>Dubai would be nice, but there is no way they'd be
>allowing armed agents wandering around.

Not that I'm picking on you Mike, but I keep hearing this comment about
nations not allowing 'armed agents wandering around' as a reason for not
siting a BE office in that country.

In ME canon, how many BE offices are located in countries with strong
gun laws? The London office, the first non-US office has laws to prevent
'armed agents wandering around'. It's a restriction that can be worked
around: don't just assume that BE offices should only be set in
countries that have a similar gun-culture to the US. Have a read of the
ME London sourcebook (url in my sig: we work with the UK gun laws.

In many countries and regions, gun laws will change the nature of the
work that BE is called upon to do so that it is less relevant for the
operatives to carry firearms. Not one shot was fired during the final
round of the ME tournament at last year's GenCon UK because the
adventure was investigative rather than paramilitary. 'The Sons of Erin'
scenario on the ISG web pages can be completed without the need for
firearms: if the operatives choose to assault the farmhouse at the end,
it's outside the scope of what they were hired to do.

BE offices should be sited in regions where there's enough lucrative
work to support the office as a viable P&L centre (to use the
accountancy jargon), and a government that isn't going to forbid private
security outright. There may be legal restrictions that present problems
for certain aspects of the work (gun laws as an example).... those are
just challenges. BE agents are meant to be more than just gun-toting
thugs for hire - we leave that to Marion Contractual Services - they're
hired because they can still get the work done even with restrictions.

--
Mark Baker
http://www.lange.demon.co.uk/Millenniums_End/ME_Index.html