Re: Odd-ball conversions and left field questions

That's exactly what I was referring to when I said:

> >You'd probably also want to check to see that
nothing on the weapon or ammunition causes a pressure
chamber that would trap either air or vacuum, causing
 pressure rupture on exposure to vacuum or
reintroduction to pressure.

=)

> The argument
> for bleeding the cases of air doesn't seem valid
> when most cases can
> withstand several thousand psi and only split
> slightly at the neck, if at
> all (this is considering ignition outside a
> chamber).  And a well seated
> bullet requires conciderably more pressure to move
> that 14psi.

  I wasn't sure on how much pressure they could
contain, thanks for the clarrification. Are you sure
that it's several thousand psi and not several hundred
though? Dive tanks are usually rated to 3000psi and
are about 8mm-ish thick whereas cartridge cases are
rather thinner. Igintion outside a weapon chamber
doesn't normally rupture the whole round because it
has a 'safety valve' in that the weakest way of
rupturing the round is by propelling the bullet out of
the case.

> With the pressure problems moot.  There is no reason
> that a caseless weapon
> would not work in a vacume.

That's what I thought too. Hmmm...unless the pressure
differential of the action of the bolt and the closed
chamber would cause problems in some way? Erm, hmmm.
My hangover is too great to allow me to comment
logically.

Mike