Terraform is an open source interactive height field generation
and manipulation program, giving you the ability to generate
random terrain and transform it. Terraform runs under Linux
and other UNIX systems under the X11 Windowing system. It
uses the Gtk+ widget set and thus has a (more or less)
consistent graphical user interface which doesn't require use
of the command line.
Terraform allows you to generate random terrain using a
number of algorithms and then selectiveley change the
terrain using a variety of transformations. Where possible,
the transformations provide a real-time preview, giving you
instant feedback on the effect of any parameter changes.
- 13 March 2000 -- version 0.6.5 released: source code
is now const correct, lots of fixes, started writing
code properly integrate the Place Object routine, better
- 05 March 2000 -- version 0.6.4 released: added
multi-level undo, migrated to Gtkmm 1.1.9 + a few
minor fixes. Also, terraform sources have been tagged
to be used with
which allows you to generate class documentation from
the program sources.
- 27 February 2000 -- version 0.6.3 released: 2
new generation modes (recursive diamond & 4-layerd
Perlin noise) as well as a few minor bugfixes. Also,
terraform has now moved to
and has a project page
the terraform website is
- 14 February 2000 -- version 0.6.2 released: many
minor GUI bug fixes, fixed a flexarray bug and added
code from the Leveler plug-in.
- 7 February 2000 -- version 0.6.1 released: GUI
code is now complete and menu sensitivity works again.
POVRay rendering has been improved and an export to the
GIMP has been added.
- 31 January 2000 -- version 0.6.0 released: GUI code
has been upgraded to use Gtk-- 1.1.8. It's quite
possible that it's buggy. If you prefer stability over
bleeding edge, you're better off staying with 0.5.2.
- 17 January 2000 -- version 0.5.2 released: pushed
back the move to Gtk-- 1.1.7 in order to get out this
fix release. Fixed a few bugs, completed the render
options dialog and added the --large flag.
- 10 January 2000 -- version 0.5.1 released: added
code to support more flexible and better quality POV
renderings of Height Fields. Also fixed a bunch of
- 20 December 1999 -- version 0.5.0 released: some
more internal consistency code changes and support for
internationalization. If you speak a language other
than English well, it would be very cool if you could
add a translation. See the README.i18n file for details.
- 05 December 1999 -- version 0.4.8 released: major
code cleanup: probably every file has been touched,
interfaces have been formalized and cleaned up,
unnecessary dependencies removed and naming conventions
are now applied in a more consistent manner.
- 29 November 1999 -- version 0.4.7 released: improved
contour line to postscript output, added export to ACAD
file format, better print dialog (which is still a bit
incomplete/buggy), fixed a sneaky Failed Sanity Check.
Also, put up a Projects page.
- 18 November 1999 -- version 0.4.6 released:
a few fixes, improvements to the contour line
algorithm/output, introduction of an OpenGL support
for a high quality preview. The OpenGL stuff in the
release is of alpha quality is not worth
looking at. If you're looking for pretty OpenGL
pictures, check back here in a few weeks.
Also, terraform now has a mailing list! Check the
Support page for details.
- 11 November 1999 -- fixed the broken link to
the Gtk-- example programs in the download area. If
you're trying to get the hang of programming with
Gtk--, these files might be useful examples.
- 31 October 1999 -- Version 0.4.5 released: fixed
up the half finished and buggy Merge dialog and it's
operations, plugged a few memory leaks.
- 28 October 1999 -- Version 0.4.4 released: 2 new
dialogs (terrace and merge) as well as a bunch of
other fixes and improvements, mostly in the GUI code.
- 18 October 1999 -- Version 0.4.3 released, which brings you a
bunch of fixes, lots of internal memory mangement
changes/improvements and an improved main window.
- 11 October 1999 -- We have a mirror (thanks)! While adding the
mirror section, I also added a few links to some interesting
terrain related pages.
- 06 October 1999 -- Put a patch in the download area which
fixes the broken POVRay export in 0.4.2.
- 04 October 1999 -- Version 0.4.2 released. Derived data now
expires properly, added --pov_exec flag. Other that that it's
mainly a bunch of internal code changes as I went on vacation
and had other things on my mind.
- 02 October 1999 -- fixed up the site which had quite
a few broken links after the move. Mirror(s) wanted!
Unfortunately, this site is now fed through a much slower link.
It would be very cool if somebody with some extra disk space
and a decent internet connection could provide a mirror.
- 15 September 1999 -- Version 0.4.1 released. Many
minor GUI fixes/improvements, fixed a core dump,
more flexible menu code and BMP file support.
- 30 August 1999 -- Version 0.4.0 released. Terraform
now supports a multi-window GUI (like the GIMP) which
makes it a lot more flexible.
- 17 August 1999 -- Version 0.3.8 released. Terraform
now compiles with GCC 2.95 and has some better internal
memory management code.
- 10 August 1999 -- Version 0.3.7 released. Fixed a few core
dumps and applied some more portability enhancements needed by
GCC 2.95. POVRay rendering is now more flexible and a bunch
./configure oddities are now solved.
- 02 August 1999 -- Version 0.3.6 released. Lots of portability
enhancements. Documentation is now SGML based and can be readily
generated for a variety formats.