RE: Scopes, Sniping and Reloading: Was new life for...

> 300m is the longest range that US Army conventional
> forces have to train
> with.  Even then, they're just trying to put steel
> on target; they aren't
> trying for the sort of precision which most people
> think Long-Range Shooting
> should encompass.

I believe that the official line in UK forces is that
IWs can deliver 'effective' fire to 400m in combat, or
up to 600m squadded. LSW is supposedly accurate
singularly to 600m or 800m in high volume, making an
infantry squad supposedly effective in a firefight out
to 600m. (I'm knocking loose cobwebs here, but I
believe those are the numbers.) Not sure what
non-SUSAT equipped units train out to (Roger?), but
SUSAT units train on moving and pop-up targets out to
400m on a regular basis and static targets out to
considerably more.
[Why the hell doesn't the US invest in some decent,
simple optical scopes for infantry units?]

Mike