RE: Bifocal shooting. How far?

> Ok, another easy one here. How far do you think bifocal shooting is
> effective? CQB distances I guess right? I'm interested in using
> it at home should the need arise. I wont be doing any hostage rescues
> anytime soon. :)

That one's pretty easy to do.  Take a walk through your home; don't think
like T-RO the Homeowner and List Member, think like someone who's intent on
doing you harm.  Where are the likely entry points?  Where are you likely to
be?  And what is the longest clear, unobstructed shot you have in your home?

What's the lighting like?  If it's dark, you'll have an advantage in that
you'll know your home layout and he won't.  But darkness will also make it
difficult to get a good bead on your target, or the sights on your weapon.
Have you considered investing in Meprolights, Trijicons or the like?

For my own condo, the longest clear, unobstructed shot is about 7m.  It's a
nice place, but it's laid out in such a manner that there aren't any good,
clear shots down the length of it.  My parents' home, on the other hand, has
one possible firelane that's about 30m long (!).

Do you have neighbors?  In that case, you might want to ask Other Rob or
Ryan Pendergast if they've done any tests on interior walls in your caliber.
A 9mm from a Glock 19 can penetrate surprisingly well, and if you have
neighbors, you might want to consider their safety as well, in the event you
need to shoot.

What about children?  How are you going to keep your weapons secured against
young, curious hands?

Your methods and tactics for home defense are going to be influenced,
heavily, by your home and your family.  There's a lot more to consider here
than simply which method of close-quarters shooting is best.

... Of course, you've probably thought all of these things through already.
I'm just bringing them up to make sure.  :)