RE: Scopes, Sniping and Reloading: Was new life for...

Supposedly, the reason for a 1 in 7" twist is actually for the new, long
range 5.56/.223 tracer round. The bullet is longer, and needs more
stabilization. (The normal M855/SS109 should work just fine in a 1 in 9
twist - seems too, never notice much problem with my Bushmaster - not that
it has ever been fired at anything longer than 200 meters away - not too
many long rifle ranges here in my part of Ohio.)

I actually hear different things about the use of 55 grain bullets in a 1 in
7 twist - some say it's fine, others say accuracy is so bad, you can't keep
the rounds on a pie plate at 150 meters. Since I just picked up a Colt with
a 1 in 7 barrel, I may go find out for myself. :)

Interestingly enough, there are supposedly some Bushmaster M4 carbines in
military service with a 1 in 9 twist as well. (Apparently, Uncle Sam needed
a bunch of new M4s for Desert Storm, and Colt couldn't make them fast
enough.)