Re: What I think that should been done in m-end version 3.0

According to anitraf@juno.com, on Wed, 02 May 2001 the word on the street
was...

> There are two kinds of gamers - those who want to learn as much as
> possible about the system, and those who just want to have fun gaming.
> We all start out as the first kind.  Some of us become the second kind.

The other way round, I'm sure...

> This is why GMs at conventions will have pre-generated characters - a lot
> of times, when gaming at a convention, I will find half the people around
> the table are - at the very least - new to this particular game.  And
> there is usually at least one person who has heard of this Role Playing
> Game thing, but has no idea what it is.  For these people, starting out
> with a bunch of dice and a thick book of rules (and believe me, if you
> have to go through it an memorize it in ten minutes or less, any book is
> a thick book!) is a sure way of turning them off.

Although I don't play much at conventions (on average, I make it to two
conventions a year, and only at one is there any organized gaming) this
applies to new players in normal gaming groups as well. Whenever a new
player joins our group, I try to explain that they won't need to read the
rules at all to be able to play. The ones who get deeply into the game from
the start will want toread the book anyway, while most of the others only
ever borrow any books from the GM when they want to work on a new
character, or for the rare times when someone says, "I'd like to GM
sometime."

--
Gurth@xs4all.nl        -        http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/index.html
  If there are vegetarian hamburgers, why isn't there beef lettuce?

GC3.12: GAT/! d-(dpu) s:- !a>? C+@ UL P L++ E W-(++) N o? K w+(--) O V?
PS+ PE(-)(+) Y PGP- t@ 5++ X(+) R+++(-)>$ tv+ b++@ DI- D+ G+ e h! !r y?
Incubated into the First Church of the Sqooshy Ball, 21-05-1998