New Players, Readers or Wingers?

If I have other guests over when I'm role-playing, and
especially with ME, I have them play NPCs.

They get to learn the system and play, without having
to commit to the game.  I don't have to change my
campaign to get them involved either.

I do have to warn GMs, though, that having to come
back in later and play NPCs that this other person
really RPGed very well, is very hard.  NPCs also tend
to be the area of control for the GM, so you have to
be willing to take some risks in that area too. :)

If they like it, they can commit to the campaign.
This usually always leads to people reading the books,
however.

If you wanted to play a game where you didn't need the
source material and you just wanted to have fun, I
recommend "Teenagers From Outer Space" and tend to run
such games as single sessions.  "Paranoia" works well
for such things too, but it is a bit more involved.