Re: FW: Underwater weaponry

Ryan Pendergast wrote:

> >If you mean waterproof bags wouldn't be necessary for weapons i would have
> >to disagree. If water is down the barrel the weapon will have to be
> >thoroughly dried out before firing. Water tends to cling to the rifling in
> >barrel and this can cause the breach or barrel to burst if the weapon is
> >fired. The famous scene in "Missing In Action" where Chuck Norris pops out
> >of the water and blazes away with an M-60 is a good example of what not to
> >do in real like. With real bullets that gun would have blown up and most
> >likely killed poor Chuck.
>
> I have to disagree with you.  I have seen more than one gun fired with water
> draining out of it and I've even seen a Glock 22 fired after being pulled
> out of a bucket of mud with just a quick shaking off.

I remember reading the yanks had a real problem with the 16's getting water in
the barrel and malfing rather dramatically.
something to do with the water tension allowing it to "cling" to the inside of
the barrel and having to open the breach before they would drain.  The older
larger calibre 14's were supposed to drain from just tipping the barrel down.