OT: Computer problem.

I am running into a peculiar problem with my computer, and I'm hoping that someone on this list will recognise it an be able to help me.

Briefly put, the computer clock is losing time, apparently primarily when the computer is turned off.

Last Thursday I ran a Thorough Scandisk followed by a defrag, then set the time correctly to 10:28 pm.  I then went out of town for three days - the computer was turned off from about midnight Thurday until approx Noon Monday.  I'm using the phone company's Caller ID box as my reference time, since that time is reset correctly every time the phone rings, so it's constantly updated.

At 1:27 PM Monday May 7th 2001 (the computer gives the day and date correctly) the time by computer was 8:49 AM.  The computer had lost  4hrs 38 minutes in 3 days, 15 hrs.

FYI - It's an old computer of no particular brand, that has been rebuilt and upgraded many times.  I currently have 32 mg RAM, and am running Windows 98, which I last upgraded from the Microsoft site on 3/17/2001.  I have a 6 GB hard-drive which is 2.11 GB full.  (Leaving 3.90 GB free space, so I don't think there's 'too much' on the hard drive.)  System resources check out at 59% free.

I'll be happy to provide any other diagnostic information anyone wants.  One small problem - I am by no means an expert, so if you want me to check something, please tell me how and where to find it, because I probably won't know.

Many thanks,

Ann

AnitraF@juno.com