Re: "First Mission" just finished...but "Hackers" will start soon...

> >>just good places to visit for this character?
>
> Janne -
>
> At the risk of stating the obvious, here in the US we have places called
> 'Cyber-cafes'.  This is a business establishment that serves expensive
> coffee <G> and makes computers available to anyone for a fee.  If you do
> not have a computer of your own, or yours is not working, or even if
> you're just away from home, you can buy time on a computer at a
> cyber-cafe, and surf the 'Net, check email, even play games.  In fact, do
> anything on their computer that you could do on your own.

	This sounds interesting as I have never seen one myself.

	Here we have few bars/restaurants that seem popular as after
	hours relaxation for engineers who work in high technology
	companies. These places have electronic toys, plus relatively
	cheap beer and something to eat and few net connections to
	surf in net. Age group is from mid-20's to late 30's.

> It seems to me that this would be a good place for young computer hackers
> to hang out, so your agent could go there and attempt to make contact.
> Be aware, though, that (last I heard) an FBI agent has to have a degree
> in either Accounting or Law, so Miss FBI would be older than those there,
> so would be greeted with suspicion at first.  I haven't been to a
> Cyber-cafe, but I would assume that the clientele would tend towards
> young people, generally male.  (It would proably help at this point if
> she were a 'real foxy babe' <G>)

        Thus it would offer interesting chance to play out age/style
        differences by having after-hours bar for established engineers
        compared to (perhaps more free-wheeling athmosphere of) cyber-
	cafe.

	As far as Miss FBI's background s concerned, she is indeed
	a bit older than early 20's students are. 22(end of Bachelor
	equivalent degree in Law) + 7 years in FBI = 29 tender years
	old. This is indeed suspicious as well as probably things like
	talk, walk, dress, demeanour and subjects of discussion.

	As far as her looks are concerned, Miss FBI has nothing to
	be ashamed off. Actually she looks a bit like protagonist of
	movie "Miss Congeniality". Thus there is probably not going
	to be terribly much problem of breaking the ice...

> You could also try the local colleges and universities.  Check with the
> Computer Science department, or whatever it's being called.

	I gave this a bit of thought but I think that it would require
	some kind of recommendation to get into student circles (perhaps
	acquired after discussing in a cyber-cafe).

	As far as the hacker is concerend, I am thinking of moving
	away from established cliche of late-teens nerd with cool
	name who runs after each skirt. I have been thiking of making
	the hacker into real-life professional hacker: early-30's,
	male, Computing M.Sc., several years as programmer in major
	company at first followed by years as a computing consultant,
	low morals enough to be beswaiged to use his skills for a job
	with no questions asked. Works mostly legally but does extralegal
	work now and then when the price is right.

> Do you run the adventures in Finnish or in English?  If your gamers are
> as fluent as you are, it might add something to your game to run an
> American-located scenario in English.

	My player(s) is/are Finnish language speaking but I have run
	RPG scenarios in English few times (abroad). Furthermore, almost
	all RPG products for sale in Finland are written in English so
	fluent English absolute must for RPG gamer. however, there is
	a world of difference between speaking English fluently and
	writing it well. Most players can write english well but not
	speak (because they do not need to use it everyday like I do).

- - -

	I have been putting the adventure going roughly forwards as
	following:

	1) new mission
	orders received-->discussion with old hacker in BE-->gets ideas.

	2) footwork
	*University: Leads for teachers who could do it, on consultant
	on cyber-cafe for younger hackers.
	*Cyber-cafe: mostly false leads, some talk of professional
	hacker.
	*after-hours cafe: almost no leads, could lead to problems,
	NOTE! Professional hacker goes here.

	3) setting it all up
	Arranging meeting (Where? When?	How?)-->meeting-->escorting
	client to discuss with hacker

- - -
	Any ideas on complications and problems? Or sidetracks for this
	adventure line?