Re: Land Rovers & MPs (and Paras, the guilty parties, of course)

Shawn Mulock wrote...

> The Defender was the best damn off roader out there.

Agreed - you tell me what damn yuppiemobile out there can do a 60%
tilt side-on without doing a ro-ro-ro (roll on, roll off, roll over)?
none bar the ol' trusty lannie!

> They may
> have been a bit touchy on the shifter. But they still went wherever
you needed
> them to. Unlike most of the SUVs out there that simply stuck a
rugged looking
> body on a road chassis, the Defenders were made for going into the
rough spots
> or "terrain unsuitable for conventional ground effect vehicles".
Here in
> Calgary, Landrover is picking up all the Defenders being sold off by
BATUS,
> reconditioning them and selling them off as "Real SUV's". They did
up the 90's
> in white or yellow paint with a black roll cover, it looks really
sharp...

Cool!

> "Here come the MP's! Act normal..."

An old hoary tale, right out of the Duty Room...

In a land rover, mid winter, in an exercise in Germany in 'The Good
Old Bad Old Days' of the Cold War, probably during "Ex. Iron Hammer",
a new Lance Corporal is being shown the ropes by an experienced full
Coporal, who's about to be boosted to Sergeant....

Experienced Corporal:
                                "Acting normal, eh? Nick the lot of
'em!"
Bewildered plastic Lance Corporal, right out of Chichester:
                                "Corporal?!"
EC:
                                "They're bloody Paras ain't they? Do
they
                                  EVER act normal, unless they've done
                                  sommat evil?!"
BL/cpl-r-o-o-C:
                                "Ah! Cheers! - OI! I WANNA WORD WIV
                                 YOU LOT!"
EC:
                                "ohshit. So much for subtlety. Now
look what
                                  you done you bloody gormless half
wit.
                                  They're f*cking legging it!"
BL/cpl-r-o-o-C:
                                "oops"
EC:
                                "Well get yer fu*ckin' skates on lad!
AFTER 'EM!"

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Webmaster, The Impossible Scenarios Group
www.the-isg.co.uk
ICQ: 74721632
UK Amateur Radio call sign: G1LIW
(PGP public key available on request)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message
may not be those of the ISG. The information in this email and
in any attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, copy or
use this email for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of
its content to any other person - you should also destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify
the sender immediately.