Satellite Broadcasting?

Hi All,

    I need to know a little bit about how satellite broadcasting works for a
scenario I'm trying to put together, where a terrorist group (or maybe the
players - haven't decided yet) wants to broadcast its message nationally over
prime time TV.  Does anyone have an idea about what such a group would need
to do to accomplish this?  I need the scenario to be more than just some sort
of GenNet hack job, and of course it would be nice to have as many realistic
details as possible.
    References, ideas, etc. much appreciated...

Best Wishes,

Manu