Re: Machineguns

MathesonT@aol.com wrote:

Weapons such as the Ameli and Minimi-Para were available at the time of the
M249 adoption, but they never stood a chance.  Two factors were in play.
First, US Army command was very much against infantry having weapons with
collapsible stocks and other gadgets (dumb I know but a reality).  Second,
the USMC was a partner in development and they wanted a crew served weapon.
They still deploy the M249 with two-man crew and T&E.
So as far as the weapon selections process went it seems to me that many other weapons did not stand much of a chance if there were U.S. military organizations partnering the development of a weapon. I do agree,  the Minimi is a most outstanding weapon. I have put about 25,000rds down the barrel and have only had one stoppage, but boy what a stoppage! I had to stand on the front of the receiver and use the sling to work the action to get the mutilated round out of the chamber. I feel they may have been hasty in their selection.
The Ultimax was evaluated by SEALs and rejected, leading them into the Mark
46 Mod 0 development.
The SEALS did select the Ultimax for use in several roles (again, according to my literature, especially liking the silencer, I am told). We do have to remember the SEALs and other SOCOM teams have the option of choosing non US issue equipment.
 Ameli performed very badly in US Army testing.  SAS
has shelved theirs in favor of Diemaco C8 SFSWs.
The Amelis I worked with were bang up weapons and performed very well in my experiences, we also have to consider the SAS has a different policy in regards to weapons. They do not follow a Standard for the Unit, they use the "I don't care just as long as they share ammunition commonality". So in essence they may well still have those Amelis handy and ready for use, it is just it has not met their role requirement recently. As a side note, the SAS still has the L34A1 on the list.
For ME purposes I would rank SAW/LMGs as;
FNMI Mark 46 Mod 0/M249 LSW
Diemaco C8 SFSW (very cose to tied with above) <- I take it this example is very much like the FNMI Mark 46 Mod 0?
H&K MG36
Ultimax 100
M249/Minimi
Ameli
anything else
As far as I can tell the nomenclature is rather confusing for some of these weapons. Of the weapons listed above I consider two (possibly three) of them to be essentially the same (same operation & maintenance, different barrel length and options/mounting systems) weapon.

Also of note is the possibility of nation of manufacture bias. I have seen it in many nations, not just the USA and have to admit, I have been one of those so biased. I was very skeptical of the Ameli when I first used it, but was pleasantly surprised by the weapon after having put it through its paces!

I tend to only support things I have either used, or have received reports on from people who have experience with the weapon. I rarely trust any company literature and instead rely on the reports of those who have hands on with the equipment. Just an affliction on my behalf, I am sure!

=|

S.