Re: [ME]: Satellite Broadcasting?

<disclaimer>
Please note that this email uses HTML markup to ensure that you get the
appropriate message for your own viewing preferences.  Any HTML tags you
see in this message indicate a bug in your mailreader, or an indication
that it is not set up properly.

The subject line has also been changed, as a convenience to some
listmembers.

And yes, all the HTML is tongue-in-cheek.
</disclaimer>

> I can concede many of your points, but just because
> you cut off the broadcast to the outside world,
> doesn't mean that you've cut off all communication.
> It would be very easy to loop back the signal to the
> terrorists as well, so it looks like they're
> broadcasting.

<display-one-of=flamage>
<flamage=MODERATE>
This is so addle-brained it's hard to respond properly.
</flamage>

<flamage=NONE>
Err, no.
</flamage>
</display-one-of>

<content>
Let's think about it for a moment.  If you're a terrorist who's going to
go to the trouble to commandeer a satellite signal to make sure your
message gets broadcast to the world, aren't you going to have a
conspirator in some remote location (let's say Juneau, Alaska, for sake
of argument), watching the TV just to make sure the authorities are
letting your broadcast go on?  That means the instant your signal gets
cut off, <I>regardless of whether or not you fool the ground station
into thinking it's broadcasting,</I> there's going to be a phone call
coming in from Juneau, Alaska saying "hey, guys, you're off the air and
I'm watching <I>One Life to Live</I> again".

Terrorists come in two varieties: the mind-bogglingly stupid and the
disturbingly cunning.  You seem to be assuming that terrorists who
hijack a sat are going to be stupid.  I assume that if they're going to
go to the trouble of hijacking a sat, they're going to take simple,
effective precautions to help ensure their success.
</content>

-- Robert J. Hansen, rjhansen@inav.net
-- OpenPGP key available on request