Re: HAHO

>Ok, I've got a question. It's not really about HAHO I guess, because the
>altitude the person would jump out of the plane is about 30km ;)  I know
>that there are parachutes developed for these heights, so I mainly want to
>know what the temperatures would do to a person in normal business
>clothing.

Dead from direct exposure, dead from exposure related inability to control
the parachute, or at best incapacitated from exposure and rough landing
injuries.

To survive you will need an insulated jump suit and an oxygen system.  Still
going to be cold and uncomfortable when you hit the ground, and your business
clothes will be a little wrinkled, but you will be alive and able to continue
the mission.

For HALO jumps you cn get away with an insulating under layer and smaller air
supply.

>And how big such a chute is.

US Forces use the standard MC-5 Static Line/Free-Fall Ram Air Parachute
System for all freefall jumps from 3000ft AG to 30,000ft MSL.  This is a
standard 7-cell 370sq ft parachute like most civilian rigs.  Rate of descent
is 8-18 ft/second.

Rob