Re: Training ordnance related questions

Janne Kemppi wrote:

> I am wondering if there are any munitions, that can be launched
> from ordinary small arms that may be fired at other personnel in
> training in close range (for example house) that do not cause
> dangerous damage?

There is kit for use in fighting simulations, it has a wide variety of names
(Harris/MILES/FOLSim/etc...) regardless all incarnations use the gas from a
discharged blank cartridge to energize a laser designator system on the end
of the weapon to illuminate a set of receivers on the opponent to log any
hits. From what I have seen the newer ones allow for either instant shut
down when "hit", or it records "hits" for download and analysis at a later
date. Basically it is the ultimate in laser tag.

As for actual small arm munitions, the Royal Army tried wax rounds with the
SLR, but this was determined to place those involved in the exercise at risk
for significant injury. (Reducing the powder charge just kept the gas system
from working properly, thus defeating the purpose of the exercise)

Regarding non lethal deployed ordinance there is a wide variety of options,
none of them can be loaded in a magazine for a conventional firearm, as far
as I know. Even closed cell expanding foam can kill a person at CQB/FIBUA
ranges...

S.