Re: WSG2000 in .408?

--- Eric Benson <e_r_benson@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  The CheyTec would
> provid optimal performance at the expense of
> becoming a logistical
> nightmare.
>
> -Eric

Actually, if I were to place some money down on a bet,
that the 408 will become fairly popular.  The military
is likely to pick it up as a sniper round.

I would like to challenge one of MathesonT's figures
on the 408, though.  The round stays supersonic until
between 3300 and 3400 meters.

This is absolutely phenomenal.  The issue here is that
no scopes or other optics were designed for such
ranges, when attached to a rifle.  Too cool.

As for logistics...  Sniper ammunition has always been
handled differently from other ammunition.  Even if
the round type is the same, snipers would usually get
special match ammo.  This goes for the 223, 308, and
50.