Re: WSG2000 in .408?

In a message dated 9/10/2001 8:40:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Brian_mcdonald@uniserve.com writes:

 Another point is just how far do you need to be able to reach out and touch
someone from.  Even if the round packs all sorts of energy at 2.5 km what
are
the odds you can actually put it on a person.  I don't have any experience
at
shooting past about 400m or so but my reading seems to indicate the
nightmarish proportions of the task of trying to hit someone at more than
say
800 to 1000m.  Seems to me that weapons like this are more for the odd
political assassination rather than the man in the field.

The primary focus of the CheyTac is in replacing the 12.7x99 (.50) as an
interdiction weapon.  That means the primary long range target is not people,
but objects.  Human targets would be engaged at under 1500m (tests have shown
10-inch groups at this range), with longer ranges being reserved for things
like mobile Scud launchers, radar units, communications devices, and the like.

Rob