Re: Afghanistani Warfare.

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Eric Benson wrote:
> Uh, minor problem.  We don't have a target.  I'm not sure that we have a
> solid plan of attack, either, for that matter.  If you do have information
> on them, I'd be curious to hear them.

Damn, Eric, I forgot to tell you!  I've got a wire going from my brain
to the brains of the Joint Chief's of staff, and not only do I know what's
being planned right now, I actually know *beforehand*!

No kidding we don't have A) a target or B) a solid plan.  It was
*HYPOTHETICAL DEBATE*.  Which, of course, is why *any* debate at all on
the subject is just armchair warriors jerking each other off with our own
half-assed theories and sources.  People were debating the results of a
war in Afghanistan, and I replied that I doubted very highly that this was
going to end like A) Vietnam, B) the Soviet's last attack, or C) Kosovo.

Could the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Generals, and Admirals on this list raise
their hands?  Hmmm... guess anyone who actually will have *half a clue*
how this is going to turn out isn't around.  Shame.

Someone sent me unconfirmed BBC reports that Taliban might hand over OBL
if we have enough evidence against him. Other people arn't going to be
happy until we do the deed and cut looks some 500KTs.  This could end any
way from total pacificism to WWIII, although either end of that spectrum
is pretty unlikely.

So if we all want to stand around and continue our intellectual
monkey-spanking, that's fine.  That's what lists like this are for, more
or less.  But it's day 3, and so far no one really has any solid answers,
so if we're going to continue debating this nonsense, we should all at
least agree that almost anything could happen, from no fighting, to
raiding, to precision strikes, to mass bombing, to limited ground
fighting, to a full-blown invasion.  It's just too early to tell.

--
Jacob E. Boucher
PAGE OF THE DAY: If You Run, You'll Only Die Tired...