Re: Propane bomb? Real or B.S.?

T-Ro wrote, and Arclight replied...

>> I heard about a bomb recently called a "Propane" bomb.
>> Supposedly this bomb sucks all the oxygen from the air
>> for 5-10 minutes after detonation.
>
>> Is there any truth to this weapon?
>> Thanks all...
>
> Maybe you mean a fuel-air explosive? A first detonation
> spreads the fuel, a second one ignites the cloud.

OK, Arclight's correct in mentioning the FAE. It's effects are much like you describe, but slightly different in key
areas. Herte's the detonation flow:

1. FAE deployed, typically from an aircraft at altitude.
2. FAE initiates a burster charge that dumps fine
    aerosol mist containing something like, say,
    kerosene into a limited area (no moer than 100
    metres, ISTR from public domain material I read
    a few years back)
3. Initiator detonates, igniting aerosol into a massive
    fireball.
4. Overpressure from fireball produces effects akin to
    a very small nuke in a very limited area, without the
    radiation or fallout troubles.
5. The overpressure racing ourwards causes a
    localised low-pressure area within the zone of
    detonation, causing the surrounding atmosphere
    to fill the low pressure, thus causing the blow-out/
    blow-in effect of a nuke, but on a VERY localised
    area.

Hope this helps explain it - if I've got anything salient incorrect, I'm sure one of the more knowlegable gun-bunny
lads'll set me right!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Organiser, The Impossible Scenarios Group
www.the-isg.co.uk
ICQ: 74721632
UK Amateur Radio call sign: G1LIW
(PGP public key available on request)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message
may not be those of the ISG. The information in this email and
in any attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, copy or
use this email for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of
its content to any other person - you should also destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify
the sender immediately.