Re: Propane bomb? Real or B.S.?

In a message dated 15/09/01 12:48:27 GMT Daylight Time, roger@isgwds.enterprise-plc.com writes:

OK, Arclight's correct in mentioning the FAE. It's effects are much like you describe, but slightly different in key
areas. Herte's the detonation flow:

1. FAE deployed, typically from an aircraft at altitude.
2. FAE initiates a burster charge that dumps fine
   aerosol mist containing something like, say,
   kerosene into a limited area (no moer than 100
   metres, ISTR from public domain material I read
   a few years back)
3. Initiator detonates, igniting aerosol into a massive
   fireball.
4. Overpressure from fireball produces effects akin to
   a very small nuke in a very limited area, without the
   radiation or fallout troubles.
5. The overpressure racing ourwards causes a
   localised low-pressure area within the zone of
   detonation, causing the surrounding atmosphere
   to fill the low pressure, thus causing the blow-out/
   blow-in effect of a nuke, but on a VERY localised
   area.

Hope this helps explain it - if I've got anything salient incorrect, I'm sure one of the more knowlegable gun-bunny
lads'll set me right!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Organiser, The Impossible Scenarios Group
www.the-isg.co.uk
ICQ: 74721632
UK Amateur Radio call sign: G1LIW
(PGP public key available on request)

I've recently heard people start referring to FAE bombs as "thermobaric devices" because their effects are ones of heat and pressure.

Charles