Re: Why the F*CK did they do that??

Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> Psychological operations, Jeff.  Right now the Afghans are already
> fleeing the country in record numbers out of fear the US is arriving.
>  The Taliban is saying that nobody needs to flee, that the infidel
> invaders' blood will wash out their foul footsteps' pollution (to
> misquote a stanza of the American national anthem), that they've
> mobilized 300,000 mujahedeen fighters, that Afghanistan is
> invincible.

Let's not forget that 300,000 also includes a sh*t load of impressed troops
who are doubtless being given empty weapons and told to walk along this road
to draw attention from the fighting patrol on the mid level of the hill. Who
by the way are waiting for the SFG lads to tip their hand.... If I know the
ice cream boys in country now, they will never go for it, but that is how
they think.

> Now the US is telling the Afghani people, "hi, guys, you might want
> to talk to your mullah, because he apparently thinks we're not
> already inside your country."
>
> If I were an Afghani, I'd freak out even more.  It's not just that
> the US is *going* to come.  It's that the US is *already freaking
> here*.  Etc.

It depends upon which kind of Afghani you were... A Member of the Pashtun
might get freaked out, but a Tajik will be quite happy to hear "the Yanks
are coming", as they know that they will soon be rid of those damn Taliban
overseers.

> Besides, you can't claim to be surprised to hear we have troops on
> the ground.  And it's not as if CNN gave away their campsite, patrol
> route and rally points, is it?

As far as people on the ground.... no comment at this time.

S.