Re: Firearm and Canadian paramilitary question

In a message dated 9/28/2001 7:41:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time, spezbaby@yahoo.com writes:

They are issued a WWII era Enfield

In a firearms sensitive nation like Canada it would be unthinkable to have modern military weapons in the closets of civilian/reservists.  You are also dealing with a group of people that are mostly subsistence hunters who are intimately familiar with the working of bolt action rifles.

Are their any issues caused by extreme cold on the actions of modern
firearms? Is a bolt-action enfield better suited to the climate of the
arctic, and if so why?

Properly treated with appropriate low/no freeze lubricants there is no problem with modern military weapons in extreme cold weather climates.  I have carried an M16 in extreme cold weather environments without problems (outside of the fact I hate cold).

The bolt action is a stronger design that is more accessible to the operator, making clearing ice easier.  With proper maintenance this should not be a major factor.

Rob