From: Robert J. Hansen [mailto:cortana@earthlink.net]
Sent: 07 November 2001 21:50
To: millenniums-end-l@firedrake.org
Subject: Re: Something of a scenario idea

> As far as armed rescue is concerned, I do not believe that
> BlackEagle has any skills or personnel capable of making such
> a move when it is compared to professional organizations.
> BE is strictly amateur hour and any BE 'operative' would
> probably know it and bow out as soon as one does see real
> soldiers around.

Without meaning to be too much of a realist, during the Iran Hostage Crisis
both the United States Government and H. Ross Perot (an American oil
executive) made hostage-rescue attempts.  The US Government used Delta
Force.  H. Ross Perot used mercenaries, mostly with Special Forces
backgrounds.

The USG had their helicopters crash and burn at Desert One.  Multiple
American casualties.  They never even got to Tehran.

H. Ross Perot's mercs stole helicopters from the Turkish military when their
own transportation failed.  Rescued all of Perot's employees from Iran.  No
casualties on either side.

... Put simply, the idea that private mercenaries are incapable of demanding
military tasks is a load of bollocks.  While most people who read Soldier of
Fortune and consider themselves mercenaries are incapable of any military
activity more demanding than an overnight camping trip, there are some
people in the private sector who are extremely good at what they do.

--
Millennium's End list: mail millenniums-end-l-request@firedrake.org with