Acrobat Reader and IE 5.5 with Millenniumsend.com

Just an FYI.

If you are using Acrobat 4.0x and Internet Explorer
5.5, you might be having problems viewing PDFs inside
your browser.  I figured out a work-around after
talking to Adobe and Microsoft about the issue, and
confirming that not everyone was having the problem
viewing such PDFs from the same site (but people
trying to view PDFs and exhibiting problems are
reporting these problems about the same website).
There are still strong indications that this is a
freakish interaction between the webservering
software, Acrobat, and some combinations of Windows
OS's and IE versions.  This is supported by Adobe's
Architect.  Until I can disprove any of these ideas by
finding another server using FreeBSD and Apache, I am
inclined to believe what I've heard, when compared to
what I've seen.

Your window might hang for a very long time, but it
never goes "not responding" in your task manager.  If
you wait long enough, it might show up in your browser
window.  Someone reporting this issue mentioned how it
"almost crashed."

The work-around is to close all of your Internet
Explorer windows (this means closing down AOL if you
have it up).  Open Acrobat/Acrobat Reader.  Under FILE
-> Preferences -> General (Ctrl+K), you will have a
window pop up.  Near the bottom, you'll see the
"Options" section.  Uncheck "Web Browser Integration"
and click the OK button at the bottom of this window.

When you open your Browser again, and click on a PDF
link, you will get a pop-up window asking for a
selection of either "Open this file from its present
location" or "Save this file to disk."  Instead of
getting this popup every time you want to view a PDF,
you can select "Open this file from its present
location" and clear the "Always ask" checkbox.  When
you access a PDF now, it will not hang, and it will
open Adobe Acrobat and display the file outside your
browser automatically in an Acrobat window.

This should help many of you that have been having
problems.  The root cause of the problem is still not
resolved, but this will help with your frustrations.
We will be stuck with this problem until Adobe finds
and fixes the issue, if it is inside their code, or
digitalinet.com fixes things over on their end.  I
would not bet on Microsoft doing anything ;-)

If you wish, you can view the related Adobe
Knowledgebase at the following links:
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/cc72.htm (note
that solution 2 does not fix your problem)
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/98fe.htm

If you wish to discuss the technicalities of Adobe as
it opens PDFs up inside your browser window, please
feel free to contact me.  I received a great deal of
education with Adobe talking to the architect.