Re: US School system, help please

You start Kindergarten at around 5,
then Elementary school is grades 1-6,
Junior High is grades 7-8, some areas include grade 6 and 9,
High school is grades 9-12 (except in areas noted above),
Collage, University, Technical School are lumped together here as
'post-secondary education', in other words they are optional.  Grades 1-12
are mandatory in almost all areas, most places you can take a test and get
your GED (equivalent of a High School diploma, but not generally look on in
high regard).  Most graduate at age 18.

Post-secondary ed. varies from 1-2 year Technical school, where one would
learn a trade; Electronics, Auto mechanics, Drafting, Computers, etc.
Community collages offer a 2-4 year degree programs, these are local schools
and generally prep students for a full 4 year University.

In Grades 1-6 a student learns basic skills; reading, writing, math,
science, etc.  By grade 6 the student should know basic math, short of
algebra.  In some areas, foreign languages are offered, these are very few
and only in affluent areas.
Grades 7-8, generally prepare the student for High School.  Subjects
include; basic and advanced algebra, Basic History (National, state, and
world), more work on English skills (grammar, comprehension, writing,
spelling), also physical education and sports are first introduced in most
areas (some areas have team sports as young as grade 1, but is rare), music
is also offered (band, marching and orchestral, and choir)  The environment
is also High School like; separate teachers and classrooms for each subject,
the availability of elective classes such as cooking, computers (in many
schools computer skills are not elective), foreign languages, etc.
Grades 9-12, the student is freer to choose classes and schedules to meet
their needs, but each student must complete specific classes to graduate.
Depending on the school, subjects range from basic education to collage prep
and collage level courses.  Team and individual sports are also a big deal
in High School.

After High school the student has an almost infinite range of choices for
additional education, there are entire books written on the subject.

This covers what I am familiar with, I haven't been to high school in 14
years and things have changes some.  Things are also different form state to
state and this doesn't take into account home schooling, which is getting
more popular and could take up an entire book itself.

I hope this helps.

Gareth Livergood
Class of '87

--------------------

Allo

I need help.
Could some one please explain to me how the US school system works, by
this I mean at what age are you in kindergarten, high school, college,
university, and what do you learn the deferent places.
The reason is that I thought I knew the basics of the US school system,
but I'm not that sure any more.

Thanks to anyone that will help me.

Dann Ernstsen
Vanløse Alle 22, 3 tv
2720 Vanløse
ICQ: 75618841
Telephone: none at the moment as the one I had is dead.
Webmonster at www.millenniumsend.com
Website at www.dann.bums.dk

Trick me once, shame on you;
Trick me twice, shame on me