RE: Airbus A400M

> the deployment of
> European soldiers by air will be left largely to the
> British and the French,
> who could buy U.S. aircraft instead, benefiting
> Boeing Co BA.N and Lockheed
> Martin Corp LMT.N." [Reuters, Jan. 25]

And UK Airlift capability is frankly very poor and
'light'. However, Europe is intrinsically more able to
deploy effectivly via other means, unlike the US.

> If not, I think there is a huge difference in how
> the
> US military procures equipment compared to the
> Europeans.  Isn't this like buying site-unseen?

Well, the US has purchased prototypes and poured money
into them as well. More famous is the tactic of
waiting until the products are all out and then set
the qualification tests so that the favoured (US) item
wins...

Mike
[feeling cynical]