Re: Rail guns (was: US SOCOM desires...)

> In the first case, I would like to point out that APWT
> isn't carried out from nice standing positions on a
> covered range. I also believe that it exceeds US
> infantry marksmanship standards. As did I believe the
> SLR standards.
> Despite moving to a shorter range round, standards
> have improved. Also consider that in the UK 95% of
> recruits have probably never touched a rifle before
> joining up.

I'm not sure of what the new standards are for marksmanship in the UK.
However, the US Marine Corps has the highest basic rifleman standards of the
US military.  They still qualify at 300m in basic training, all other
branches have been at 200m for years.  I'm not sure of the details of
qualification or how this compares to the UK standard.

Optical sights on a combat weapon can provide an advantage at longer ranges,
with proper training.  I think that is the basis for most of the discussion;
burst limiting, optical sights, etc.  Training makes the difference.