RE: Rail guns (was: US SOCOM desires...)

> Bit like, oh dear my optics are broke, well I've
> hardly trained to use my
> open sights so I'm up the creek without a paddle...

Most combat optics are as rugged as iron sights. SUSAT
also has an emergency battle sight mounted on top for
use if optics are shagged or in FIBUA.

> technical
> gear is fine until it craps out or the batteries
> die.

Not applicable to SUSAT, though.

> Seems to be that
> they rather give a soldier a laser range finder
> rather than teach him how
> to estimate range.

Well, most marksmanship/sniper schools do both. It's
faster to use a laser. It's the difference between
using a calculator and a slide rule.

> Well, when we (the Kiwis) and Aussies were in
> Vietnam we tended to avoid
> wall of lead tactics.

Side note. Jungle warfare was what prompted the UK to
use semi-auto shotguns. As an anti-ambush tool for
putting down 'shock' fire, they were very effective.

Mike