RE: Rail guns (was: US SOCOM desires...)

At 12:20 30/01/02 +0000, you wrote:

> > Bit like, oh dear my optics are broke, well I've
> > hardly trained to use my
> > open sights so I'm up the creek without a paddle...
>
>Most combat optics are as rugged as iron sights. SUSAT
>also has an emergency battle sight mounted on top for
>use if optics are shagged or in FIBUA.

Yes, indeed.  And just as bloody well.  Just making the point that, when
something is busted, its busted.  Too bad the original SA80 wasn't as
rugged as the scope mate.

> > technical
> > gear is fine until it craps out or the batteries
> > die.
>
>Not applicable to SUSAT, though.

No, no its not but not my point specifically, just that many do, PNG
etc.  But I'm sure you know the point I was trying to make mate :)

> > Seems to be that
> > they rather give a soldier a laser range finder
> > rather than teach him how
> > to estimate range.
>
>Well, most marksmanship/sniper schools do both. It's
>faster to use a laser. It's the difference between
>using a calculator and a slide rule.

Yeah I know they do, I am just making the point of good training over
reliance on fancy toys.

> > Well, when we (the Kiwis) and Aussies were in
> > Vietnam we tended to avoid
> > wall of lead tactics.
>

>Side note. Jungle warfare was what prompted the UK to
>use semi-auto shotguns. As an anti-ambush tool for
>putting down 'shock' fire, they were very effective.
>
>Mike

Yeah Mike exactly - my father was a combat tracker, he has found memories
of the Browning Automatic, the ultimate counter ambush tool.

Leon