Re: National symbols

Jeff Pawlowski wrote:

>Just a neat bit of historical trivia for everyone...
>
>Benjamin Franklin wanted the US national bird to be
>the Wild Turkey.
>
>Don't know anything about the story other than that,
>or how the Bald Eagle ended up our national symbol or
>how it ended up on all of our currency :)

baldies are a less than great choice for a national bird.  golden eagles
would have been more suitable imho.  we have baldies nest near our house
and its depressing to watch as many as 6 of them harass the pair of
ospreys into dropping their fish so they can make off with them.  only
rarely have i seen one catch its own dinner in the presence of an osprey
it can bully into feeding it.