Re: So why Millennium's End?

> I gave the whole HP thing a lot of thought a while ago and the conclusion I
> came to was simple - lost hit points in systems like D&D don't represent
> "hits" they're near misses that *would* if they had landed been extremely
> damaging and possibly fatal.
>
> As characters go up in level and acquire more HP they are really accumulating
> a bit more luck and getting better at making the other guy miss those lethal
> blows. It doesn't take much of a change in narrative style to make this sort
> of thing work. You just go from "He hits you and you take six hits" to "If
> that had connected it would have hurt - it's cost you six hits."
>
> Of course that doesn't make combat any quicker but it does make it more
> "realistic."

That is all true, but in D&D if you have 100HP, there is no game play
change from when you take 6 points, or when you take 20 points, and if you
get all the way down to 1HP, you are still as able to run, fight and do
anything else.  There is no incintive to be overly intelligent about how
you approach a situation, no real fear of most battles.
I just like the down and dirty, gritty feel of ME combat sometimes.  You
can't just charge in, shrug off 4 9mm rounds, and then tumble into a crouch
and shoot two of the bad guys in the head.
That's why I like ME, as someone else said, it's more focused on
roleplaying and planinng with amazing combat,

Benjamin