Re: Cybergames plans for ME.....

In a message dated 05/04/02 10:07:24 GMT Daylight Time, roger@firedrake.org writes:

What's needed in this case is for one person to design a game - which,
bear in mind, can't use any of the ME material, including BE/BE, the
WIJ, any of the mechanics, or any of the other stuff that's part of the
ME intellectual property package. Once the game basics are up and
running, _then_ solicit comments on the list and fine-tune it.

Is this worth doing? I don't know. It certainly won't be Millennium's
End, even if it is a gritty technothriller RPG. And I don't have time to
do it...

I think that you're only partially right about what can be used from ME by someone writing another game. The names, story and wording are certainly protected but, AFAIK, the mechanics aren't because they are simply the way of implemeting what is written.

It seems unlikely that rolling 1d100 or points based character generation is protected by IP rights. The damage chart and overlays form more of a problem since they would have to be demonstrably different from the original not to fall foul of IP. However I, for one, would argue that the damage charts need an overhaul and reconstructing the overlays is unlikely to be that hard.

Of course I don't have time to do it either...

Charles

Its amazing how most people can be vastly improved by sudden death